Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Etiquette of "Reply All"

Your first instinct should NEVER be to hit "reply all."

Even after that first instinct, you should really have a moment with yourself and truly consider whether hitting "reply all" is necessary when responding to an email that has numerous recipients -- particularly, random recipients. Because, once you hit "reply all," you open the flood gates for everyone else on that list to do the same thing. And, I cannot STAND when folks unnecessarily reply to all of the recipients of an email for no damn reason. In fact, if you do that, kill yourself!

OK...maybe that was harsh...but I meant it. I mean...what makes you think that everyone on that email wants to know your response? It's one thing if the initial sender purposefully initiates a debate to which all recipients would need to see the others' responses. It's also another thing if the sender specifically asks the recipients to reply all.

If someone sends an email, however, to their random group of friends (friends who may or may not know one another) saying, for example, "I'll be at ABC Bar on Thursday...Let me know whether you can make it out"...you should reply directly to the sender -- not to everyone on the list. If you DO reply all to that email...you really deserve to be hit by a bus. I mean...what makes you so important that you feel the need to respond to every single person on that list, whether you know them or not? Why do I, who just happened to be on the list just like you, need to know that you are not going to be able to make it because you have self defense class; or because you will be working late; or because you have a hair appointment; or because you have to go to your kid's choral recital. Why do I need to know all of that? I don't even know you and could care less about what you or your tone def kid has on their schedule. Wasting my damn time reading a pointless email.

See...that was just an example and my pressure is already up. Anyways, email etiquette tip of the day, DO NOT reply all unless it is absolutely necessary.

No comments: