Monday, October 24, 2011

Publix Changes Lives

QOTD: "I believe that Publix changes lives." - SYR

If that ain't the truth!

Ever since I left the South and moved to the "East Coast," (yeah...I know...DC is still the South...lol), one of the biggest voids in my life has been Publix. Yes, you read that right...a damn grocery store. But, Publix is not your ordinary grocery store. It is where shopping is a pleasure.

And, why is shopping a pleasure at Publix? One word: QUALITY! Quality food and quality service. These are two qualities that these grocery stores in DC lack. I mean...true Whole Foods is quality...but you can't get Kellogg's Corn Flakes at Whole Foods. And, every single time I leave Whole Foods, I spend damn near $100 dollars, and come out with only 2 bags of stuff. There's no pleasure in that.

So what's so quality about Publix, you ask? Outside of EVERYTHING...specifically, for me....the Deli and the Bakery. Before I moved to the District, I hadn't had a sandwich from a "sub shop" in YEARS! I'm like...why in the hell would I go to Subway or Potbelly or Jimmy Johns or wherever when there is Publix deli near? I mean....hellloooo Boar's Head meat...and the fact that I get to decide whatever meat and cheese in the deli counter I want on my sandwich. (An aside: do you know I had to go to a special deli to actually get Boar's Head meat in DC...like...Safeway and Giant do not carry it...WTF!!)) And, then they actually give you more than two or three pieces of meat. I am a grown ass man....what in the hell am I gonna do with those two slices of meat and cheese? And, then there is the chicken? WHAT! That joint rides! And normally folks don't like store bought side salads....well, Publix doesn't have the problem. Them joints are tasty! And, now that I think about it...Publix is the ONLY grocery store that I can think of that people use religiously to cater their entire Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, or any other holiday for that manner.

And, then the Bakery. I must admit that I love fresh out of the oven Publix doughnuts wayyyy more than fresh out of the oven Krispy Kremes. I know...I might be crazy, but it's true. And, who doesn't love Publix cakes and ice cream cakes. And those calyspo cookies! Yes sir! Sign me up!

I mean...everything thing there is top quality. Even all of the Publix brand items are quality...so why pay that $6 for a gallon of Edy's when I can get Publix brand for $2 cheaper and it tastes just as good.

And, let's not forget the Publix has the freshest produce, meats and seafood in the business. And, when they steam the shrimp in the Old Bay. Woo lawd!!


I promise you that nearly everytime I go home, or visit a state/city that I know has a Publix, it is one of my VERY first stops. Like...before I even get to my house to see my parents, I drive directly to Publix and order my favorite meal: sausalito turkey and pepper jack cheese on white sub; hot and spicy wings; some King Hawaiian rolls, sweet tea, and a glazed twist from the bakery. My mouth is literally salivating just thinking about it.


Yes...this whole post came about b/c my ass is hungry. But, I'm about to fix that soon. Too bad there is no Publix around. #kicksrocks #homesick


*this is not a paid advertisement...but I'm just saying...maybe they SHOULD pay me. LOL!*

2 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks for the terrific personal thoughts about how Publix matters to you, a wayward customer ;). It's amazing how much love the Publix brand generates from awesomely loyal customers like you. Just wanted to drop a line saying THanks, and reading this was a pleasure. - Michael Social Media lead for Publix ps: we have a new Facebook page.. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Thanks Michael!

(anxiously anticipating my trip home for the holidays so that I can get to Publix.)